Thursday, June 23, 2011

The First Leg of the Trip


Greetings from the island of Mykonos!  The trip so far has been absolutely amazing - and tiring.  We spent our first days in Athens and yesterday we were able to tour the Acropolis.  It amazes me the craftsmanship of the aritechts of the acient times.  Although the structure is in ruins, the portions standing are phenominal.  After the tour, we were given free time around the city and visited Hadrian's library and the city park in Athens.  We also were witness to the 'peaceful' demonstrations that take place daily outside of parliment at 6pm.  There were at least 1,000 people out in front chanting - the police were armed with shields in front of the building, ready to take action if necessary.  To actually witness the demonstration was amazing - witnessing history first hand.

This morning, we awoke at 5am to make our way to the island of Mykonos.  We began our journey leaving Athens on a ferry boat.  The last time I was on a ferry was when I went with my Ohio State family to Put-in-Bay.  This was a much different ferry ride experience.  The ferry itself was stocked with multiple food options and a full bar.  We probably were on the ferry for almost 4.5 hours.  Let's say it took sea sickness to a whole new level.  I coped by sleeping.  Ugh. 

Now, I have found my way to an internet cafe' on Mykonos and am excited for the next few days - hanging out at the beach and experiencing the Greek culture.  One main goal I have is to visit a jeweler that knows some Ohio State colleagues of mine - I'm hoping for a fun visit.  This island is absolutely picturesque and that's what they say about Santorinni.... so it can only get more beautiful from here on out.

Over this trip I've come to realize a few things so far - 1) traveling can be very exhausting, but sometimes its worth treating yourself 2) bringing 2 novels on vacation may be a challenge - but with hours on the ferry, they help to pass the time 3) I really take for granted being in a non-english speaking country.  One of the main industries in Greece is tourism - so, when I want to order something, even from a stand on the street, chances are I do not need to know any Greek to speak to them.  I feel slightly embarressed at this, yet, I do not have any Greek speaking skills.  Our tour director speaks 6 languages.  I think that from this trip, I am going to do my best to learn another language so that I can feel like a better traveler and not seem like an ignorant tourist.

That's all I got for now, more to come as I stumble upon more internet cafes... now back to the vacation :)

2 comments:

  1. One of the bonuses of working in higher ed Steiner?!? You can take classes for free (most places). Don't wait just do it! Enjoy the rest of your vaca. Will be in Milwaukee for Maroon 5 on the 3rd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen and I just watched a PBS show on the acropolis, or maybe the Parthenon. Either way, the math and painstaking detail involved in building them was astounding. Would love to see them in person.
    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete