Friday, June 24, 2011

Almost Paradise

Have you ever been to a nude beach before?  In the states, it is atypical for anyone to show off their personal bits to a public group (unless you're in NOLA for mardigras).  Today, I experienced my first nude beach.  We went to a place called Paradise Beach on the island of Mykonos.  And, this beach was indeed paradise - the crystal blue waters of the Aegean Sea, a lounge chair, and an umbrella - all I needed was the cabanna boy.

I know in Europe, there are often beaches that bathing suits are optional.  I guess I never thought that I would encounter one.  So, this afternoon, we arrived at the beach and I went to put my towel on my lounge chair and turned around and saw a naked middle aged man only feet from where I set up shop.  

As the day went on, we saw multiple people and families dawning their birthday suits on the beach and it got me to wondering, was I uncofortable with the situation because American culture had made us to be so, or because they are walking around naked.  Honestly, I think it's the first.  I believe the human body to be a beautiful thing, but growing up in America, we were told to not expose ourselves, and I understand why that is.  Yet, I can appreciate wanting to just be on the beach, free.  So, kudos to those Europeans, they got me to thinking today.  And, although I did not follow suit, I can appreciate the cultural acceptance of the practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment