Sunday, May 1, 2011

Giving My Mother Hope


This weekend marked an exciting event (as most of you already know): The Royal Wedding.  Yes, I was up at 5am with my family watching the fairytale wedding unfold.  Kate looked absolutely stunning in her gown, and it was a touching moment when William first saw her and you could read from his lips, "You look beautiful."

A few months back, when the engagement became official, you may remember I wrote a post about my fascination with the British Monarchy.  And with the princes only being a few years older than I, I grew up having school girl crushes on them (especially Harry).  So although many women were upset to see Wills go off the market, Harry is still 'single.'  Which, gives my mother hope.  

Let me explain... One of my favorite books of all time is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  To sum up: the story centers on the Bennett family - a mother, father, and 5 daughters.  Because women had no right to property, it was Mrs. Bennett's job to find suitable gentlemen and get her daughters married.  

I refer to my mother as Mrs. Bennett.  Now, my mother is not constantly setting me up with someone, but she'll share stories of how her waiter was cute, so she showed him my picture.  She is always on the hunt for me.  My sister also got a heavy dose of Mrs. Bennett, but now that she is in a relationship, the focus is on me.  Great.

I would say my mother's love for the royal family is stronger than mine, and she has been talking about the wedding non-stop.  My sister and I are heading to Greece in a little over a month and my mom made some comment - what if Harry is there?  Now, mind you, that is probably not going to happen, and proves she has a vivid imagination.  I replied that we're just commoners and it would be highly unlikely to see him, let a lone talk to him.  Her response, "So was Kate."  Oh goodness... this will never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment