Friday, May 27, 2011

Hometown Pride

Yesterday, I was watching TV and all of a sudden, I hear a familiar voice speaking about a wonderful place... A place called Pure Michigan.  Being in Ohio, I can't help but get a little nostalgic every time I see a travel add for my home state.  These adds are narrated by Tim Allen, or as many Americans know him as Tim "the Tool-man" Taylor.  So not only is he the voice of Buzz Lightyear, but also the voice of some of the greatest advertisements on television.  

This morning, I got a phone call from my mother - mind you, I was a bit groggy (as it was a wake up phone call) and she was super excited on the other end.  She mentioned that she had just sent me an email about a video of Grand Rapids, a Lip Dub is what she called it. 

I open up the email to find a 10 minute video - a continuous shot of downtown with local celebrities and hometown heroes lip dubbing the famous song "American Pie." Side note: The American Pie movies are actually written based upon Grand Rapids and East Grand Rapids (known as East Great Falls in the movies), so I found the title choice to be appropriate.

What I loved most about the video (and yes, there were moments when I got choked up) was seeing home (my high school's cheer-leading squad had a cameo - couldn't help but be geeked about that).  I love where I'm from, I think Grand Rapids is one of the best places to visit in Michigan, and I can't wait to go back in a few weeks time.

So, I wanted to share with you this video and to better explain to you why I have so much pride being a Michigander. Enjoy the glimpse of my city and get a taste of Pure Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment