Sunday, May 8, 2011

Jean Jackets + Running = Attractive

Yesterday marked my 3rd half marathon race in the past year.  There's something about the goal setting piece that I really enjoy - I work really hard for 3 months to then run 13.1 miles.  Plus, the race is through my city - so along the way, I can see people I know and get to enjoy the neighborhoods.

This race was special because I was running with one of my best friends in honor of her mother.  So, the times when I was ready to give up,  I kept pushing through because I had committed to the race and to my  friend.

So, yesterday morning we geared up at about 7am at the start line.  Then, it dawned on me - 12,000 people running a race, I was bound to see some interesting and very American things.  So, in honor of America, I decided to just highlight some of my favorite moments from the race:

1. We were placed into corrals depending on our finish time - in our corral stood a man wearing an Ohio State hat, running shorts, and a JEAN JACKET.  Yes, this man decided to sport a light denim wash on race day.  It was a bit chilly, so maybe he took the jacket off after we started to warm up.  Or, maybe he wanted to look The Boss (aka Bruce Springsteen) for the entirety of the race.

2.  I saw a man running in green khaki cargo shorts.  Maybe not a dri-fit material, but it did have some great storage space for his ipod.

3.  I cannot continue on without acknowledging those who came out to support.  One of my favorites was a lady who stood on the corner of Lane and High (right at OSU's campus) and had a tambourine.  Love it.

4.  The barefoot ladies - I've seen it before and I know it's a trend, but there were 2 women who ran the entire race barefoot.  I know how my knees feel post-race, I can only imagine their pain.  My friend actually kept pace with them along the way and at about the mid-way point, all the runners were able to take some GU (an energy booster a lot of distance runners choose to use).  Apparently, it was so sticky, they had to step aside and pull GU wrappers off their feet.  That would convince me to not run barefoot ever again. 

5.  And last but certainly not least, Condom Man.  Yes, folks that right.  I said it.  As I ran through Short North, he was there cheering us along.  And yet again, he was in German Village a few miles later.  While we passed him in German Village, a few runners around me were asking, "what do you think he is?  A cone head?"  The other runner responded, "I think so, but I'm sure a majority of these runners don't even know who that is, they're too young."  Being one of those "young runner" I felt compelled to respond, "I do."  But then, continued to think... it's totally not a cone head...

So overall, great race, great sightseeing, and completed with a great friend.  It's these things that keep me looking forward to racing -yes, its partially the whole completion of the race, but it's also the experience of those 2 hours on the road.  You never know what you're going to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment