Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Summerfest and Lake Michigan, what more do I need?


Today, I can officially announce that I have accepted a job at Marquette University and upon graduating from The Ohio State University, will start a new epic adventure in the city of Milwaukee (after a brief stint in Greece).  I've been to Milwaukee a handful of times and remember in my childhood visiting WI after taking a ferry across Lake Michigan (which I think is my mom's favorite reason to come visit me once I move).

So, to get geared up about Marquette and Milwaukee, I thought I'd share some fun facts about the city!
  • Milwaukee is the 22nd largest city in the US
  • The typewriter was invented in Milwaukee in 1867 (who knew?)
  • Milwaukee is home to Harley-Davidson - I better stock up on my biker gear!
  • Milwaukee is home to Summerfest, the world's largest music festival (sun, fun, and music - count me in)
  • The name Milwaukee comes from the Native American word "Milliocki" which means gathering place by water.
  • The city resides on the Shores of Lake Michigan.  Although I grew up on the other side of the lake, it excites me to get back to the water!
So, to sum up, by this short list of fun facts (there are still many more), you can now understand why Milwaukee is a great American city.  I suggest you go check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment