Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Drowsy Chaperone


One of my absolute favorite things about my experience at Ohio State is working with the musical theater/service student organization, Off the Lake.  And although I'm listed as an advisor, I barely do any work compared to the students who truly run the entire organization (student directors, stage managers, art directors, choreographers, actors, musicians, etc.).  The group itself is a student run, non-profit theater group.  And every year, they put on a Spring Musical to entertain the Ohio State and Columbus community - all you need to do is bring a non-perishable food item to get in!

This year, the Directors decided the show to be The Drowsy Chaperone - a musical within a comedy.  This show is witty, fun, and all around good time.  This past weekend marked the first 3 of 6 performances to the Columbus community - and they were absolutely fantastic! 

I was thinking about the show some more, and I think one reason I personally enjoy it (and don't get sick of watching it) is the honesty of the script.  Let me explain.... the show takes place in a man's apartment - he's feeling a bit blue and wants to play a record of his favorite musical, The Drowsy Chaperone.  Suddenly, we are transported to the 1920s as the show comes alive in his apartment.  At times, the show itself couldn't be more ridiculous - at one point the man points out the broad racial stereotypes depicted in the show and how in present day we just "banish those to Disney, let the children sort it out."  Yet, I appreciate the truth and honesty of that statement... And the fact that I can laugh about it along the way.  To give you a better understanding of how hilarious the show can be, here's a clip from the original Broadway cast (featuring Sutton Foster) at the Tony Awards: Show Off

So, if you're in the Columbus area and are looking for something to do next weekend, come see Off the Lake's production of The Drowsy Chaperone - May 19, 20, 21 at 8pm in Hitchcock Hall room 131.  I may be partial to musical theater, but trust me when I say, you'll be missing out by not attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment