Saturday, July 2, 2011

Going to the Airport


I've been traveling quite a bit these days, and have now safely arrived to my final destination of Milwaukee, WI to start my career.  Over the past few days, however, I have spent them primarily traveling somewhere - by boat, bus, plane, and automobile.  Throughout this time, I have made some observations and feel it necessary to speak primarily to my time at the airport.

We literally traveled 24 hours straight this past Thursday - starting with a flight from Athens to JFK, followed by a flight from JFK to Detroit, and finally Detroit to Grand Rapids.  The one positive I found on my flight from Athens to the States was that I had 10 hours to catch up on movies I had yet to see.  I started with the movie "Country Strong."  For those of you who do not know me, I hate country.  Often times, I tell my friends that it makes my ears bleed.  But, I happen to be a fan of Tim McGraw, Gweneth Paltrow and Gossip Girl (Leighton Meister is in the flick).  So, I gave it the good 'ol college try.  To be honest, I actually liked the film.  And the style of country portrayed in the flick didn't make my ears bleed - it was actually very melodic and pleasant.  Now, this doesn't mean I'm going to buy up every country album on iTunes.  I do, however, believe I have a greater appreciation for such a favorite American genre. (I then had time to watch 3 more movies - but that breakdown will come some other time - and don't judge - I had 10 hours to kill).

On our flight from Detroit to Grand Rapids, my sister and I were seated in what we like the call the 'First Class Extension.' AKA - our seats were located in the first row behind first class - leaving us exceptionally large leg room.  As we were waiting for all passengers to board, 2 families attempted to fit their strollers down the isles with no luck.  The first family had a couple to figure out the issue.  The 2nd was a mother traveling alone.  When she had difficulty, I offered to help (meaning I would fix the stroller and help take it to her seat).  She responded, 'Oh, yes, that'd be great.'  And handed me her baby.  Now, I don't know about you all, but I don't think I would hand my child over to a complete stranger.  Yes, I'm a trustworthy person, but how does that mother really know?  

Lastly, on that same flight, my sister and I had a 3rd seat in our row and it became occupied by a guy in his mid to late 20s.  This is what I like most about traveling - random conversations with people.  We talked about our careers, our travels, books, our hometown - all in a 30 minute flight.  We even exited the aircraft together and he made us wait for him near the drinking fountain so we could continue to walk together after he quenched his thirst.  Hilarious - we were instant friends.  OK, maybe not friends, but acquaintances.  Nevertheless, it served as a great way to end our 24 hours of traveling.  And thus, proves why I love the airport.  Never a dull moment that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment