Tuesday, July 5, 2011

America's Birthday


Yes, I know I'm a day late, but shouldn't the 4th of July be celebrated in the hearts of American's every day?  And who really expects someone to blog on a national holiday.  I decided to enjoy my weekend instead.

To coincide with this lovely holiday, it also marked my first weekend of living in Milwaukee.  So, not only did I get to experience my first "Big Bang" (the fireworks were seriously an hour long), I also got my first taste of some Milwaukee night life.  After the fireworks had concluded, my friends took me to a place called Highbury.  Totally my kinda place - there were lots of hipsters and karaoke (perfect combination).  And was was even better was I got to perform to Queen's "Somebody to Love".  My dad would have been so proud.  This guy afterward came up to me and was like, "I really liked your rendition."  Which I responded with a "Thanks."  I was just singing karaoke - no intention of making it different than the great Freddie Mercury.

Not only was my weekend a lot of fun, but also, it's always neat to see how other American's show their pride and admiration for our country.  People set up around Lake Michigan at least 6 hours before the fireworks to get a good spot.  Others got together with friends and family to BBQ and play lawn games.  I guess it serves as a time to reconnect with the ones you care most about.

All in all, this past weekend marked a great celebration of our country and just an opportunity to relax and get to see a fun side to my new city.  America!

No comments:

Post a Comment