Thursday, July 7, 2011

Junglecat Fever

If Baseball is known as America's past time, what is softball then?  I remember growing up as a kid, my dad played on a softball team for his work.  Often times, he would bring my sister and I to his games - I can distinctly remember learning how to keep score, eating far too many sunflower seeds for my own good, and making friends with the elderly gentleman who was in charge of the book (and also supplied me with my sunflower seed stash).

It's been YEARS since I've actually played softball.  I would say that I've always been athletic, but this was never a sport I typically played.  Maybe it goes back to all those years playing tee-ball in my neighbor's backyard.  I never really got what it meant to 'tag up.'

When I accepted my job offer at Marquette, I was asked to join the staff softball team.  I responded with a yes, but warned that it's not my sport, but I'll play with a lot of heart.  Since I was out of the country, I missed our game last week, so tonight marked my first game (probably even of this century).  I warmed up with one of my teammates and felt ready if they needed me to play in the outfield.

For some reason, I thought it would be fairly simple to play.  Oh, was I wrong about that.  Not only was I mildly confused, I also walked away with some nasty injuries.  My teammate pulled a muscle, so I was put in the outfield.  The other team made a hit and it was coming right for me, I judged it was going to bounce and I had hoped that I could get it with my glove afterward.  I got it alright, right in the chest.  A large thud was heard throughout the field - those sitting on the bench even said they heard it.  I got moved to infield after that.  I have to say I was proud to make a play getting someone out on my time at 2nd base, but other than that, I really need to work on the fundamentals... like batting and picking up grounders, just as some examples.

And although my first game wasn't an MVP performance, I'm happy that I've joined the Junglecats - it's a wonderful way to connect with my fellow co-workers, even if that means I am sporting a huge bruise on my chest for the next few weeks, I will sport it proudly.

3 comments:

  1. I offer you my softball coaching prowess free of charge anytime you want to cash in the certificate...ice that there sternum of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you to be coaching softball! I found your post through twitter.

    I have been playing softball since I was 8 and I love it!!! I always look to connect with softball players, coaches or parents. In fact I just started a 365 site that I will be adding a new softball cheers on everyday for 365 days!!

    Keep us posted on your softball team.

    ~Yo Yo (Softball Cheers Living Dailies Publisher)

    ReplyDelete