Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Muddiest Show on Earth

Today, as you know is Wednesday.  This summer, that means it's softball game day, aka Jungle Cats day.  When I awoke this morning, the forecast was not positive - there was already a thunderstorm and the rest of the day was supposed to follow the trend.  In some respect, I was hoping for a game cancellation.  Not because I've had a negative experience with the team, more so because the one thing I hate about playing sports outside is playing in the rain and mud.  I had hoped the thunder would continue on to ensure game cancellation.  

Somehow, there was a 5 hour break in the thunder and lightning - and because of this gap, the Jungle Cats were to report to the field for our 6:15 game.  When we arrived to the field, we discovered that we really arrived to a giant mud pit.  The infield was basically in ruin, and when a step was taken, your foot would sink at least half an inch - maybe more.  Thankfully, our team was in good spirits and willing to get dirty for the cause.

It was the battle of the cats - Jungle Cats vs. Good News Kittens (side note: this team chose their name in reference to the saying "bad news bears." When I heard the name, my mind immediately jumped to Kitten Mittens.)  

For the past two weeks, I've been playing catcher for the team - last week we played a double header in the heat wave and this week, the mud pit.  Let's just say, I was not excited to catch this week - surrounding home plate was mud and directly behind, a giant puddle.  I play slow pitch softball... those pitches gotta bounce on the plate to count as a strike.  Throughout this game - there were multiple pitches that bounced in the puddle.  I emerged from each inning, with a little more mud splattered all over. At one point, I referenced that my clothes resembled that of a Jackson Pollock painting.  At first, I will admit, I was a bit apprehensive to getting dirty, but as the game progressed, myself and my teammates got into it.  At one point, my teammate slid into 2nd - we're pretty sure that mud went up his shorts.  It even began to rain again and we danced around a bit.  I guess I walk away from today enforcing the life lesson of Carpe Diem - seize the day.  Sure, conditions were not ideal, but you can't make that ruin your experience - there's always a positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment