Wednesday, July 13, 2011

2011 - This is Your Year Harry Potter!

Ok, maybe I'm getting a day a head of myself, but I fear that tomorrow will be too busy for me to fully reflect on the big event... that's right, the last Harry Potter Flick comes out tomorrow (well, technically Friday) at Midnight!

And yes, it does seem a bit silly in some way to be in my mid-twenties and excited for the release of a movie in which the book is technically classified as "adolescent fiction."  It is important though, to remember that the Harry Potter series first became a smash hit when I was in 5th or 6th grade.  I'm sure my parents were pleasantly surprised that Christmas when I asked for the first three books on my gift list.  And ever since I've read those books, I've been hooked.  Hooked to the point where I've read each book at least twice (some much, much more).  Side note: I used to re-read every HP book in anticipation for the release of the newest installment.  And with the movies, I've typically read the book prior to the release.  So, I guess you would say I'm well versed in the HP series.

And as excited as I am for what's to magically (get it, magically?!) happen at midnight tomorrow, I can't help but be a bit nostalgic that it's come to an end.  I mean, Harry Potter books and movies will always exist, I'm well aware... But the anticipation of the newest movie or book has really come to an end.  Like my childhood really is over, I don't live in Neverland, and I really do have to grow up.  You know what I mean?

So now that I've brought the mood down a bit, I'll try to leave it on a positive note.  The Harry Potter series really helped me love reading.  I am so thankful to JK Rowling for creating a world that I love to escape to over and over again.  I'll be interested to see how generations after mine will respond to the HP series when I pass it along - I'm hoping they will be just as amazed and entranced.  And the best part about it for them - they can just read the series straight through without even stopping.  Now that's what I call a win-win situation.

And if that's not positive enough for you, check out this YouTube video of a Harry Potter song to the music from Broadway's The Book of Mormon - it pretty much made my day:

1 comment:

  1. Just watched the video. I liked it.

    Can't wait to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete