Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Brew Crew


There is something about sporting events that really rally people together.  And I like it. 

I remember when I decided to head to Ohio State, I got a lot of flack from Michigan fans about football.  Before heading to Columbus, I would defend my soon-to-be graduate school, but didn't fully understand the Buckeye traditions until I stepped foot onto campus.  I instantly fell in love with Hang on Sloopy, Carmen Ohio and other football traditions like Script Ohio... I instantly became a Buckeye.

So, when I moved to Milwaukee (now a month ago), I was hoping to feel some sort of connection to the community.  I've done a decent job getting to know the city and attending various events, but hadn't ventured over to Miller Park to watch the Brewers play... until this past Friday.  Many of my co-workers and some friends had told me of the beauty and excitement that is Miller Park.  I will admit that maybe I was a little doubtful.  No offense to the sport, I've never been very good at baseball and watching it on TV just can't compare to being in the stadium.

Some friends came up this past weekend from Ohio and we ventured together to watch the Brewers.  We started our evening downtown and took a shuttle to the stadium - on the ride over, we met some Brits who were on their last leg of touring America.  They started in Chicago, made their way west to SF, LA, NOLA, Vegas, back to Chi, and ended in MKE.  For those of you who don't already know, MKE was recently rated in the top 5 most underrated cities in the US - these men must have gotten the memo and wanted to check it out!

So, we head to the game and it was an absolute blast!  I think my favorite part had to be Take Me Out to the Ballgame followed by Roll Out the Barrel.  What can I say? I love to polka!  And also, I love the mascot, Bernie.  He has a sweet handlebar mustache and it's kind of hipster - which makes my day.  After an exciting win, I couldn't help but want to head back to Miller Park again - and in the near future.  It just so happened that last evening, I got a 2nd opportunity to cheer on the team.  My work had some extra tickets and I thought, well, why not seize the day?  Once again, the game was epic - in one inning we scored 5 runs - I was jumping with excitement.  

So, even though I will always be a Detroit Tigers fan at heart (shout out to Pure Michigan!)... I can't help but love being a part of the Brew Crew.  Some may say I'm turning into a super-fan - this may be true, but I think what's really happening is I'm becoming a true resident of Milwaukee.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think it's fine to maintain your "hometown" Tigers allegiance while cheering on the local crew. Especially without a natural rivalry between the two, and regardless of what @senseigiles says!
    Miller Park is definitely in the top of my fun parks list!
    #Rolloutthebarrel

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, well, you do love to polka ;)

    ReplyDelete