Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hello... The Book of Mormon

I have mentioned it before and I will say it again.  I love musicals.  Like, really, really love them.  And with it being showtune Sunday (the best day of the week), I thought it would be appropriate to discuss my favorite topic.  

Can you imagine if life really were like a musical?  Breaking into song whenever you felt like explaining how you feel... Sounds pretty perfect to me.  But, alas, in real life, this is not possible - as they would put it in the show The Drowsy Chaperone, in real life, the only people that break out into song at any moment are the hopelessly deranged and Zac Efron. <Sigh>.

I don't know about you other musical lovers out there, but when I start listening to a new show, it gets put on repeat. For example, throughout a majority of the spring and summer, I was non-stop listening to Spring Awakening.  (Side note: It's a great music to listen to while at work.)  

My latest obsession: The Book of MormonWhen the show opened, one of my closest friends was able to see it on Boradway.  He couldn't stop raving about it - I knew if he loved it, I would too.  And boy, do I love it.  And the critics love it too - at the 2011 Tony's, The Book of Mormon was an extremely popular show, winning numerous awards. And although I too appreciated the show, it wasn't until this past week that I really began to listen to it.  And I just can't stop.

For those who claim to not like musicals - consider this show.  Here's my thought process as to why you should consider: Many Americans love South Park.  The creators of this TV phenomenon wrote this musical.  Americans always say things about the Mormon religion.  This is an opportunity to learn more about it and poke fun at it at the same time.

The story line itself follows a man name Elder Price as he is sent to Uganda to convert people to Mormonism.  The songs are just brilliant.  I don't have to use my written word to convince you- watch the Tony Award performance.  It provides an amazing glimpse into the production.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment