Thursday, February 24, 2011

Standing Ovations


I love the theater.  I love everything about watching the performance, I love the wealth of emotion that floods over me when a singer hits a particular note, I love the energy that it gives me.  Some could say, I'm a theater junkie.  I performed in theater as a child and throughout high school and now at Ohio State, I am one of the advisors for the musical theater organization on campus.  I'm even planning on attending a play this weekend.

Let me get on topic... standing ovations.  So, this past weekend, I was fortunate enough to attend the Columbus Jazz Orchestra's Ode to Broadway.  It was a  lovely event that my department purchased tickets for our entire staff, including the 350 RAs on campus.  The performance was moving and a few times I did get the chills, I will admit.  Here's where the next part comes in... the finale.  I mean, some of the show was indeed phenomenal.  The rendition of "What I did for Love" from A Chorus Line was absolutely stunning, their rendition of West Side Story was inspiring.  Yet, the ending fell a bit flat.  So, when it was time to say goodbye - a good number of folks still gave a standing ovation.

Maybe this is a poor example to use because in some repect I do believe the show deserved a standing ovation.  But too often I attend a show, and there is always a standing ovation at the end.  I think we give it up too easily.  I think the performers need to earn it more.  How can they improve on their craft if we're always giving them a standing ovation?  Its like either it has to be completely awful or not.  If not, even if it's just OK - we stand up.  Quite possibly, it's in response to needing to grab ones jacket or stretch ones legs.  But I find this hard to believe.  All I ask is that we try our best to contemplate the giving of standing ovations - I see them as one of those special occurances that comes with a stellar performance.  Don't be easy, wait to give it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment