Sunday, February 5, 2012

Superbowl XLVI: Who Are You Excited to Watch?

We are down to two teams: The New England Patriots and the New York Giants. And although I am excited to head over to a friend's home tonight to watch the game, I can't help but to think of the real reason I want to watch the Superbowl.  Last years battle for the coveted title included the Steelers (makes me think of this) and the Packers.  So, really, it was just made to be a good match up (I'm referencing last year's performance from both teams...).  Anywho, I enjoyed going out to a local establishment and actually wanted to watch the game. 

For me, this year actually serves as a year where I'm more excited for the Half Time Show more-so than anything else.  I mean, who doesn't love the Material Girl?  No joke, last week, I had a dream where I got to go to a Madonna concert.  Even my subconscious was excited to see the pop culture icon rock it out live.  It made me think of how big a production this whole thing really has become.  Sure, it's about who wins - but really, it's a celebration of consumerism.  We anticipate the commercials to see who has the best advertisements - and who knows, it probably will lead to an increase in sales.  News coverage all week has been focusing somewhat on the Giants and the Pats, but also on the city of Indianapolis.  Talk about a great way to increase tourism in that Midwestern town.  They even get the biggest names in show-business to perform with the hope to increase the audience size to then watch said commercials to increase consumerism (see the pattern here?).

So, who are you really excited to watch tonight?  With the Lions and the Packers losses early in the playoffs, I have to say I have no preference for who wins the game tonight (although the Giants were my defense for my Fantasy Team...).  But you better believe I will be eating lots of great food, hanging with great friends, enjoying commercials, and jamming out to the Material Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment