Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Give Me That Strawberry!

I will be the first person to state that I'm OK that this year I don't have an official Valentine in the way Hallmark intended.  I did not go on a fancy date with someone and exchange expensive gifts.  This year, I did something better: I spent Valentine's Day with some of my closest friends in Milwaukee.


Some people look at Valentine's Day as a dreaded day because they aren't in a relationship.  But that's not what today is about.  Today is about telling those around you that you care about them.  Yes, this year, we have 366 days (it is a leap year, ya know!) to tell others we care for them.  But, isn't it nice to take time out of one day to really let others know how much you truly are thankful for them?  


Now, society makes it seem like you have to be in a duo to make this day extra special.  Today, I spent Valentines with one of my closest friends, her wonderful husband, and my little niece.  Couldn't get much better than that.  At the end of dinner, we got dessert which were some chocolate covered strawberries.  When they were brought out to us, they came in a pair.  Needless to say, after an exhausting dance off, I got one of the coveted berries.  Clearly there's an assumption of how one chooses to spend this holiday.  Clearly, I like to go against the trend. 


Nevertheless, tonight was a great reminder of why I love living here in Milwaukee, and it's in part due to the wonderful friendships I have surrounding me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment