Thursday, December 29, 2011

Things Girls Say...

Last week while in my office, I began working on a video project to use for recruitment purposes and I was having difficulty getting the clips to import into iMovie.  There happened to be a student working in the mail room (which is located next to my office).  I figured he would be more tech savvy than I, so I ask, "Hey, can you do me a favor?  I need help with my computer..."  His response?  He showed me this video:


As much as I didn't want to admit it, a few of those phrases come out of my mouth on  a daily basis.  I guess I just fit into the gender norms on this one.  As do, according to this, many other American women.  How do we as a collective pick up these sayings?  Is this from the media?  I know I typically ask... "can you do me a favor?" as a nice way of prefacing something rather than using a command statement.  Yet, this clip makes a good point - we've been gendered to speak in a particular way and reflecting upon it, I'm not sure if I'm proud or embarrassed that sometimes I speak in this fashion.  Regardless, this clip does a decent job encompassing the things girls say... because I know I'm not the only one who uses these phrases, it was through observations of a number of women that this video had to be created in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment