Thursday, December 8, 2011

Really Wisconsin? Say yes to Michigan.



As many of you know, I am a Pure Michigan enthusiast.  I love going home to Grand Rapids and exploring downtown, or love taking a trip to the shores of Lake Michigan to spend some time walking the sand dunes.  It's pure heaven.  I mean, who doesn't want to hang out in a state shaped like a mitten?


So, when I was informed that my current state of Wisconsin wanted to steal the mitten idea for their latest winter tourism campaign, I was a bit upset.  Note: If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look at the above map of Wisconsin compared to that of Michigan, they look nothing alike.  A short while after I moved here, a friend of mine (born and raised in WI) tried to explain where something was using her hand.  I was a bit confused as often times I too use the hand - to form a mitten of course - to display where I'm from.  When I told her about this tourism campaign she said - oh no, WI is not shaped like a mitten, more like a hand.  At least she somewhat agrees with me on this one.  And even though she agrees... I just don't see the hand - do you?


I can't help but to be proud of where I'm from and if we can't get the title of warmest state (temperature wise, of course - this is the Midwest after all), or the state filled with the most celebrities (I think California wins that one by a landslide - get it?  It's punny.).  So, I just say - say yes to Michigan and let us take complete ownership over the Mitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment