Friday, December 31, 2010

One of America's Greatest Pastimes... Bowling

Last night I ventured to a bowling alley here in Columbus that I had never been to before (mind you I only go bowling MAYBE twice a year tops).  So, I'm driving to meet some friends and I'm winding through the streets of a neighborhood and out of nowhere pops up this alley.  Leave up to Americans to build a bowling alley into their neighborhood.

Anyway, it was the first time that I've gone bowling since the summertime and stating that I was a bit rusty in an understatement.  My first game I bowled a 3.  Yes, that's not a typo.  A 3.  I am a very competitive person and we had purchased 4 games, so you can imagine my spirit was broken.  Someone suggested that maybe I was using too heavy of a ball - and they were right, my next two games, I began to knock down pins.  Even get strikes.  My competitive nature was restored.


The bowling alley itself had a ton of interesting characters - families, long time friends, and even babies.  Yes, babies.  I too was surprised to see that families would be out after 11PM with an infant in arms... but we witnessed more than one family who found this to be the norm.  Moral of the story, I found that for those die hard bowlers, nothing gets in the way of their favorite pastime.  And I respect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment