Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Snow Angles and Tobogganing

This morning, I awoke to the first snow fall of the season - not much other than a small blanket covering the grass and leaves.  So, as we move into the winter season, I thought it'd be appropriate to note some (but not limited to) of the very American past times in the snow.

  • Making snow angles - what's better than getting snow all over you?
  • Snow ball fights - somehow as a child I was the one who always got one to the face. Whomp Whomp. 
  • Driving very slowly - especially in the Midwest, people believe they are going to crash, so they chose to drive 10 miles per hour on any road
  • Sledding/Tobogganing - there's nothing better than racing down a hill in a sled full of people.  It's like riding a roller coaster in the winter - add some jumps and its a popular attraction
  • Snowmobiling - doesn't get more American than that.
  • Catching snow flakes on tongue - when I was 5 this was one of my favorite ways to pass time... and actually is still one of mine today
  • Build a snowman - or some sort of snow structure.  Below is a picture of a snow script Ohio that some students at OSU did last winter - can't beat it 

  • My friend David sent this to me and I thought it was a good addition to the list: EATING SNOW!  I know this was a fun pastime on the playground as kindergartners.  Maybe it goes beyond the age of 5 too?


    2 comments:

    1. Might I mention that most of these are much more Canadian than American... can we actually have real snow fall. Except for the slow driving- I dont own that cause Canadians actually know how to drive.

      ReplyDelete
    2. haha. My apologies, Jen. Maybe these are more like North American traditions, eh? :)

      ReplyDelete