Monday, December 27, 2010

High School Reunions

The holiday season is coming to a close after the ball drops marking the beginning of 2011.  Although the season is coming to an end, I've been happy to say that it's been quite an eventful holiday season.  I have been home in Grand Rapids for about the past two weeks, and I do admit that I'm a bit bored - I've never been one to vacation well when there isn't much on the agenda.  I mean, I am well rested... but I only needed one week to feel this good.  I digress.

Grand Rapids is one of the largest cities in the state of Michigan with a population of over 500,000 and our metro area reaches over 1 million.  In this city, I went to one of two Catholic high schools and the population of the school was less than 1,000.

With these statistics, it would seem near impossible to consistently run into my fellow classmates - but it never fails when we are home for the holidays.  It is crazy to me to think that almost 6 years have passed since I traveled the hallways of my high school, but running into my fellow classmates makes it feel as though time has not passed.

Some of my classmates apparently wanted to have an 'official' 5 year reunion.  High school reunions are fascinating to me with the idea of catching up with people from your past to touch base and catch up on the last few years.  The reunion was interesting - I guess I was thinking it would be awkward to sit and talk about our accomplishments since we left the halls of Catholic Central, but it wasn't.  It was really good to see people, and it was quite entertaining at times to see the best come out of people (and at one point, maybe the worst).  Although it seemed a bit silly to talk about ourselves 5 1/2 years later, I will only be more impressed at our 10 year when people are done with graduate/professional school, or have partners/spouses, and maybe even families.  Crazy. Ah, the joys of growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment