Saturday, November 6, 2010

Public Displays of Affection

I have had far too many experiences in the past few months in regards to Public Displays of Affection (PDA) that I can no longer sit and take in the awkward moments these couples have created for me. I must express. 

I do not know if it is an American thing or the fact that I am currently living in Ohio which is the Midwest's home for young couples seeking a spouse. I have seen PDA in other countries and maybe because I was in Rome or Paris, I did not take it to be inappropriate or uncomfortable.
I really started to notice random acts of PDA starting a few months back when I saw the movie Inception with a group of friends. The theater was so crowded that I was given no other option but to sit next to strangers. Mid-way through the first scene, the woman next to me proceeded to feed her boyfriend his popcorn. It continued throughout the entire movie.

OK - maybe it isn't a Midwestern thing since this situation did happen while I was living in California... But I have to say the random PDA sightings have increased upon my return to Buckeye Nation. 

PDA Moment #1: I was at an Iron & Wine concert and during the second song of the evening, a couple was canoodling right next to me, singing, swaying, kissing. I personally don't believe that an Iron & Wine concert is necessarily the most appropriate venue for PDA. Now, you may think this to be a romantic moment, one that you too would like to share in. Maybe this is coming from a bitter single gal place. Yet, if you were standing in my place watching this moment unfold, you too would have felt the awkwardness of everyone around.

PDA Moment #2: Literally later that week, I was at a political rally anxiously awaiting the arrival of President Obama and the First Lady. Not to mention, John Legend was performing... At the political rally, I happened to be the one sitting next to the PDA couple. The woman did not even face forward as the President spoke. Yes, the President of the United States did not even distract her from her work of hugging, kissing, touching her partner.

PDA Moment #3: Just yesterday, I was sitting in the library reading law cases when the couple next to me began to go all out. I was with a friend and as I looked to him he too felt awkward and we moved tables. I felt a bit guilty for doing so, but the most amusing part was that others around us looked up too and laughed knowing why the move was necessary.

My point is... PDA can be great - I know I've been someone who has been guilty of it. Is it because Americans are too sensitive that we make comments and judge others based on their happiness? Maybe it stems from a place of jealousy. Maybe were just too uncomfortable with feeling uncomfortable. Yet, I argue - is a political rally really the best venue for displaying your affection? I guess that's your personal choice. I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment