Sunday, July 1, 2012

Happy Anniversary, Milwaukee!



This past week in Milwaukee has been nothing short of amazing.  I promise to go into intense detail (not really) on why my week has been what I consider to be the best week (thus far) of my summer.  As I was reflecting yesterday with a friend on this week, I was also reminded that it was exactly 1 year ago this weekend that I settled into my new home of Milwaukee, WI.  Like any move, I thought I was ready for the transition, but ultimately was a bit scared for what was to come.  I was being uprooted from my home of two years to unfamiliar territory.  Don't get me wrong, I like Milwaukee, but like any transition I've had to get adjusted to the rhythm of a new city, making new friends, and feeling apart of the greater community.  So, what I've come to realize is that I think it truly takes a full year to feel acclimated to a place.  Now that I have been living in Milwaukee for a year, I have a better understanding of the little nuances of the city - I also have a greater understanding for cheese curds, the Brewers, and Spotted Cow.  But, that's an entirely different blog post.
So, here are the reasons I considered this week to be among the best I've had in Milwaukee, and am anticipating more to come - I mean, it is just the very beginning of July.


1 Chill on the Hill.  This event was actually named the best summer music event in 2011.  The concept is simple: bring food, drink, blanket, friends, and come sit on a hill and listen to a local artist perform.  Yes, the concept may be simple, but the event itself is magical.  This past week's chill was epic due to the amazing group of friends that I met at the event.  


2. Big Bang Fireworks. After playing some beach volleyball on Wednesday night, I stuck around with a friend to watch the Big Bang Fireworks - basically the kickoff to the Summer Fest celebration. I mean who doesn't like fireworks on on Wednesday night?  


3. Jazz in the Park. A Milwaukee summertime staple that takes place in Cathedral Square.  You could say it's a more main stream version of my beloved Chill on the Hill in a much smaller green space.  This week featured some Latin inspired music - and we danced our booties off.


4. Shakespeare in the Park. Although the production itself was not the best I've seen - I just love the idea of a group of young people bringing a classic to life in an outdoor space.  The show was Two Gentlemen of Verona, where I feel as though the Bro code was invented out of this play.


5. PBR Street Festival.  Yes folks, PBR started in Milwaukee and sponsors small street festivals including Burnharts Street Party.  This festival hosted a great brass band, local artists selling their merchandise, and of course plenty of opportunities to shake my tail feather.


6. The Roots. Summerfest is well underway in Milwaukee and I took my first of I hope a few trips to the festival last night to see the amazingly talented band, The Roots.  I had seen them once when I went to a taping of Jimmy Fallon, but a live concert experience is out of this world.  Somehow, my friend and I were able to get great seats and just enjoy the show.  An overall great end to a Saturday night.


I guess what I've come to realize that not only am I celebrating my anniversary with Milwaukee, but also I've finished my first year as a full time professional, my first year as an official grown up.   This past year has marked some interesting moments, but overall this it has been one of fulfillment and I'm looking forward to my next year in this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment