Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TheSixtyOne

I think one thing that connects us all together is music.  Let me explain - think of when you're in the shower, or taking a drive, or at a social gathering with friends.  I can bet there's got to be at least music going on in the background, right?  Or think of pertinent moments of your life... you hear a song and it makes you think of ______ moment.  Let me explain further - my father's mother has had Alzheimer's for years and although she has had few moments in recent years where she truly knows our family, I can tell you one thing... music is still alive and well within.  One Christmas, we had carols playing in the background, and although she didn't really know why we were there with her, she could sing along.  My point being that music is a truly unifying thing.  And what's so fascinating is how truly unifying it is across cultures.  One summer, I was on holiday in Rome and enjoying a pleasant evening with my sister on the Spanish Steps.  A group of younger Italians were sitting only a few steps below us and began to sing the Oasis classic, Wonderwall.  Every time I hear that song, I am immediately transported back to that spot, a perfect early summer evening.  


As we embark on the summer season, we get closer and closer to opportunities to enjoy music in unconventional venues.  Here in Milwaukee, we have my favorite music night on Tuesday's called Chill on the Hill.  It takes place in a local park a top a hill featuring a local artist.  It's the best.  Milwaukee is also known for SummerFest and in August our nearby neighbor of Chicago will host the infamous Lollapalooza.  Basically, I can't wait to get a taste of some new music during these upcoming months.


And speaking of new music, I needed to share something that I don't think I've shared before.  Like I've stated earlier, I love music.  There are a few people in my life I would consider to be my music gurus... people who over the years have introduced me to the sounds of Ben Folds, Beirut, Blind Pilot, City and Colour, Bon Iver and many more... One of these gurus pointed me in the proper direction of a website called thesixtyone.com thesixtyone's concept is easy - let's play a bunch of independent music for free - people can join the site and vote on songs to keep them on the site, they can also have the opportunity to create their own playlist, and heck - if they really like the songs, we'll let you download them for a low price. A few year's back, I was introduced to a band called Beautiful Small Machines through the site.  Their song Robots in Love is one of my favorites.  Seriously, listen to it - I think you'll like it too.  Tonight, when I got home, I naturally put on some music and instantly, that song played.  So, naturally, I had to share.  Because what is music worth if it is not shared and enjoyed by others.  Just like books, or banana splits.

No comments:

Post a Comment