Sunday, August 25, 2013

Best. (and shortest) Reunion. Ever.

To be honest, MTV has fallen off my radar as a station that I frequent.  I don't frequent TV in general, but when I do it tends to just be a lot of HGTV.  This changed earlier this week with the announcement that Justin Timberlake would possibly be reuniting with the group that started his career, *NSYNC.  I was so excited with the thought, I could have peed myself with glee.  Too much?  Let me further explain.  *NSYNC was my boyband.  Hands down.  I saw them twice in concert, once just following their Disney Special (please check out this link... their outfits are priceless) and the second on their first arena tour (they never came back to Grand Rapids after that performance because they blew up).  Following these live concert experiences, I often rushed home after school to turn on TRL to see Carson Daly play their videos, and on several occasions they were special guests of the show.  And although now I totally think JT brought sexy back, in 1998 I was mad crushin' on JC Chasez.  Obvi.

So, for the first time in years I had my girlfriends over for a little VMA viewing party.  We commentated on the outfits (or lack thereof).  We watched the performances (and were appalled by Miley Cyrus).  We ate cake (it was delicious).  We painted our nails (they look semi-professional).  And we freaked out the entire Justin Timberlake performance (duh).  For 20 minutes we were back in high school.  And I couldn't have been happier.  If anyone else noticed, JT started with more recent songs and slowly worked his way back to the *NSYC tribute.  So what if only 3/5 of the group are in shape? Sorry, Chris and Joey.  Love you both, but those jackets looked a little tight.  Granted, you still were able to seriously bust a move. It was the most amazing minute and a half of my recent life.  I was transported back into the DeltaPlex in Grand Rapids, MI.  I was in seventh grade again, screaming my head off for 5 guys that sang of teen love and heartbreak. 

Tonight's performance gave me hope.  Boybands of the past have been making major comebacks.  This summer NKOTB, 98 Degrees, and Boyz II Men toured the nation. Could this be the start of *NSYNC's new beginning?!  I sure hope so.  Here's to wishful thinking.  Until then, I'll just jam out on Spotify in my office to their classics like "Digital Getdown," "Space Cowboy," "Here We Go," "Girlfriend," and "Dirty Pop."  Don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment