Monday, August 26, 2013

Back to School, Back to School, to Prove I am No Fool...

Billy Madison spoke it best about why it's important to go back to school.  It got me thinking - today marked the first day of school for my students.  Hard to believe summer came and gone, but here we are back in the school year.  With that I'd like to give my personal top 10 countdown as to why one should enjoy the start to a new school year:

1) New outfits.  I remember growing up my sister and I would always do our back to school shopping, which included hitting up the local mall. (Shout out to Woodland Mall)  Unfortunately, my high school had a strict dress code, so I just had a plethora of collared shirts.  But, I did get to break out NEW collared shirts every year.  There's always a positive.

2) Getting back into the routine.  As much as we all enjoy galavanting around in the summertime, it's nice to have a little routine here and there.  I personally like being busy and the school year aids in that sense of business.  Maybe that's why I've continued to work in education...

3) Meeting new people.  A new school year means new people coming into school and the opportunity to make lots of new friends.  I have 750 people living in my building that just want to meet one another.  What a neat thing.  Part of what makes my job most exciting is getting a whole new batch of these first year students to help them with their college transition.  

4) Holding on to the summer anthem.  There's always a song that sort of summed up the summertime.  And although school's back in session, you can still jam out to that song and feel like you're still on vacay.  I think my favorite summer anthem that will take me back will have to be "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk.  Simply amazing.

5) Football season.  I know we've spent the summer enjoying America's pastime, but nothing beats watching a good college football game.  Enough said.

6) Crisp Fall air.  It's just around the corner.  Bust out those layering sweaters and boots - we're almost there!  And nothing smells better that taking in that crisp air, who's with me?!

7) Learning stuff.  Come on, our brains want to learn and absorb as much information as possible.  We might as well be useful and put more fun facts into it.

8) Free stuff.  Working on a college campus opens the flood gate for cool programs that come with a lot of free stuff.  For example, this upcoming Thursday, there will be a festival to celebrate our student organizations on campus with food, fun and prizes followed by an outdoor movie showing of The Great Gatsby!  All free!  Count me in!

9) Have I mentioned football season?  I'm sorry, I'm just so geeked to watch some football, preferably my Buckeyes (O-H)!

10) The countdown begins.  Although we're excited for the year to start, of course the countdown begins until the next break.  You've always got to have something to look forward to!

Happy Learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment