Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Moment of Nostolgia

Do you ever have those moments of nostalgia that bring you back to your childhood?  For me, it can be when I'm playing certain board games, or even eating a certain treat that I enjoyed growing up.  Another way that I am brought back is through the magical power of Disney.  That's right, folks. Disney owns the world and is the staple of American childhood.


This past weekend, I was fortunate to have a date night with a friend of mine from college.  She too shares in the love of Disney as she thought at a young age that she was able to control the wind like our gal Pocahontas.  So, when I suggested after dinner to head to the movies to see Beauty and the Beast in 3D, it was a go.  Now, since I can remember, I've loved Beauty and the Beast.  I don't know why exactly, partially because my big sister liked it so much, but also because it's just a remarkable story - learning to love people for who they are instead of what they are. Now, that is a bit sappy, which is not my style, but it is Disney after all.


Now, the film originally came out in 1991 when I was 4 years old.  So really, I don't fully remember that first experience of going to the theater and seeing the actual movie on the big screen.  That's why I love that Disney has been releasing some of it's classics in 3D. (Side Note: I absolutely love Lion King as well, so I was also excited for that to be re-released).  Being in the theater - which also, I think it's a funny concept that we pay a lot of money to sit in a dark room in silence to watch something that we will eventually be able to watch at home - was an epic experience.  Nothing like watching it on my little 22" TV.  And as the credits rolled and we were singing the Celine Dion version of "Beauty and the Beast," I felt like I was back as that 4 year old, excited for the newest Disney classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment