Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Wait, don't you have that on DVD?

This evening marked the first time in a long while that I've watched some TV after getting home from work. As I was flipping through the channels, I couldn't help but be excited to see a preview for Titanic to play on ABC Family this upcoming weekend.  Although I would never outright say that Titanic is my all time favorite movie, I will admit that I do consider it a guilty pleasure.  So, like any guilty pleasure, I just can't get enough of it, especially when it's on TV.  And even though I own Titanic, I rarely watch my copy.   Yet, when I'm flipping through the channels and stumble upon it, I can't help but watch.

Let me explain further - in my family I grew up on the Star Wars trilogy.  I mean, who doesn't love an action film set in space that combines a bit of romance?  So, likewise, whenever this was on TV, we had to watch the show.  This drove my mother crazy.  She always said, "don't you have that on DVD?" And although the answer was always yes, I can't help but watch when Spike decides not only to show the original trilogy, BUT also the prequels.  

Maybe I like to watch because I do actually enjoy the story line.  Partially, however, I feel as though, in typical American fashion, I'm too lazy to get off my behind and put the movie in... I mean, it's already playing for me... and my couch is just so comfy...

So, although I don't plan on watching Titanic soon, I will probably watch it when it's on TV.  Seems like an odd statement, I know, as the 3.5 hour movie suddenly becomes an entire afternoon.  But I can't help but to love the end of the movie when Rose goes back to the ship after she passes...you know the scene at the very end at the staircase... gets me every time.  I once was asked why I loved that final scene so much and I responded that I love the thought that for her entire life, getting married and even having a family, she still felt Jack to be the love of her life.  Then, the other responded, "sure she did, she knew him for two days, in her eyes, he's perfect."  Touche'.  That doesn't mean I won't watch it on the tube.  Once a guilty pleasure, always a guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment